Flood Damage Insurance

As a matter of course, most buildings insurance policies cover the fabric of the building, including built-in kitchen units and bathroom suites, outbuildings, including sheds and garages, and any walls, gates or fences.

These tend to be covered against damage or destruction caused by fire, storms, theft, vandalism, escaped water, flooding and subsidence.

Some also offer accidental damage as standard, but in most cases you will have to pay extra for this cover.

This is the element that covers damage caused by, for example, drilling through a pipe. The cost of adding on this type of cover will vary, as will the cost of the basic policy, as insurers base their premium calculations on a number of factors.